THE SPIRACLES : SPECTACULAR INDIE ROCK FROM PERÚ TO THE WORLD
In our country we can find great musicians and bands that have appeared some decades before and others have rised only a few years ago planning new proposals with a rich and a different point of view influenced by the music of awesome groups from past decades but offering their exclusive style creating superb and high-quality music . This Neo-Music is so important like every great band around the world does inside the firmament of Independent Rock Music.
The globalization movement, Internet, the digital downloads, the new ways to communicate one to each other, etc. and, in general, all the technological advances have contributed to be informed faster in many subjects and also we can take a quick view of the new tendencies and musicians that are being part of the Indie Music direction. We can know artists not only from the exterior, meaning other countries of the globe, but also bands from here, in Perú, that are doing great and lovely Music and are being knowing outside our country. THE SPIRACLES are a good example of that and an incredible Peruvian band with their own style.
THE SPIRACLES AND THE FIRST IMPRESSION
This is the first time I have the opportunity to write about a Peruvian band sharing my ideas and opinions and also my first experience to describe a brand new album before their official release. Some months ago I have the desire and pleasure to write a Music article about THE SPIRACLES because is an awesome band that I had met through their acoustic and live shows in our capital, Lima, their fabulous music posted on the web and their amazing debut EP that I own as part of my musical collection.
Since I have heard the first songs from THE SPIRACLES they captured my attention by storm because of the great treatment and the high-detailed level of their Music, a fresh, innovative and refined sound covered by intense atmospheres, first class musicalization and production and the ingenious to create delightful Indie-Pop melodies in the same musical level or maybe better than other contemporary bands of many countries that have a great repercussion in the Indie scene.
In the other side I was very surprised to know that their first EP “How Things Get Well When I Met You” (2012) had a great success and is part of the catalogue of the northamerican label Saint Marie Records, a big achievement.
Many bands are part of the Saint Marie Records label, not only from USA but other countries around the world like PIANO MAGIC, a magnificent English band and a legendary Avant-Garde group that also belonged to the 4AD Records label, one of my favourites bands. ELIKA from USA with their elegant mix of Pop and Experimental Music which also played live in Lima in 2008, I remember with affection the two members and friends of mine, EVAGELIA MARAVELIAS and BRIAN WENCKEBACH. Also the Swedish musician NIELS NIELSEN, the sweet band TIP TOP FELIX from Russia, the excellent group DROWNER from USA, SWAY, PANDA RIOT, THE SUNSHINE FACTORY, etc.
THE BEGINNINGS OF THE BAND
THE SPIRACLES is the band founded and produced by the talented artist LUIS RODRÍGUEZ, composer, excellent guitarrist and a great friend of mine. We all know him for being member of the genious Shoegaze band RESPLANDOR which highest moment was the recording of the great and last album “Pleamar” (2008) produced by the mythical artist ROBIN GUTHRIE, ex-guitarrist from the extraordinary and remarkable legendary band COCTEAU TWINS, a big honour !!!. For this album there were guests and friends of mine from the wonderful band MAHOGANY, the frontman ANDREW PRINZ and ANA BRETON. Also SCOTT CORTEZ from the incredible Avant-Garde group LOVESLIESCRUSHING. Actually Ana is member of the great and lovely DEAD LEAF ECHO band. Many people will remember that ROBIN GUTHRIE, MAHOGANY and LOVESLIESCRUSHING played in Lima some years ago, we hope they come back soon.
THE SPIRACLES project show us a new look with an Indie-Pop flavour far away from the Shoegaze sound from RESPLANDOR where all the songs are a truly musical feast for the ears. The new soundscapes belong to the huge sensibility of Luis to express the technique, art and his skills playing the guitar.
In their first phase THE SPIRACLES were LUIS RODRÍGUEZ and ARACELLI FERNÁNDEZ releasing the debut EP titled “How Things Get Well When I Met With You” (2012). A blow-mind record which contains the unforgettable single “Fireflies” reaching number 17 of the 50 best songs of the online radio Strangeways Radio from USA in 2011, a good notice !!!. The EP also have two new themes: “Mercy” and “End Of The Affair” (cover for the incredible band THE FIELD MICE) and two remixes from the single “Fireflies” produced by ELIKA (USA) and ALTOCAMET (Argentina). I highly recommend this record.
The Spiracles – Fireflies
“Fireflies” is the glorious single extracted from the debut EP.
In a second phase the band suffered some changes because the vocalist, Aracelli, left the band and then LUIS RODRÍGUEZ reformed the group adding new members and a new singer making the actually formation. The group always are in great activity doing many live performances in many places in Lima. At the same time THE SPIRACLES started to play live and compose new songs to release their new album and solid debut. I will do later a description of every song of the album.
THE SENSATIONAL DEBUT ALBUM AND THE NEW FORMATION
After the release of the first EP and renewing, as a band, THE SPIRACLES continues in their musical journey crafting and elaborating more complex and dynamic themes to offer an impeccable LP debut. This means the natural evolution of a band searching for a concept or a distinctive focus where the sounds and the styles are more refined and very-well balanced but keeping their musical essence that have always distinguished them since the beginning.
The Spiracles new album is truly a musical pleasure and titles “Last Night I Dreamt About You” (2014), it will be officially released this november 8. The debut LP is conceived with and authentical purposal where the band goes deeper looking for fresh and new sensations and emotions. Now the Indie-Pop and the Neo-Dream-Pop styles are the elements that predominate in the new melodies. The sonic textures and the arrangements are more sophisticated than the previous EP adding Neo-Psychedelia, Post-Rock, Neo-Shoegaze, and many other surprises.
Actually the band is conformed by VERÓNICA GRADOS in the voices, LUIS RODRÍGUEZ and LUIS ENRIQUE MEDINA, guitars, NICOLÁS OJEDA, drums, and DANIEL VILLAR in the bass. The manager of the group is STANLEY YEP.
It`s important to mention that Verónica`s voice surprised me by having a great vocal register, a versatile, energic and sweet voice, all at the same time, full of charisma and emotion and a perfect pronunciation of the English language.
“LAST NIGHT I DREAMT ABOUT YOU” (2014): THE 10 BRAND NEW SONGS
1. Tremble: The Spiracles new album begin with this great and exciting tune and represent very well a good point to start. Since the first notes the song catch us with an incredible combination of melancholy, nostalgia, hope and energy. It seems like the guitars are taking us to the right place full of riffs and changes crafted in a perfect way. At the end appear the sounds of trumpets that give a special feeling to the song…simply amazing !!!.
2. Hot Day: We continue in our musical path with the first single from the album and one of my best choices. From here we are ready to change our state of mind feeling a shiny cut with a lot of happiness and optimism mixing perfectly the melodies and the beautiful voice of Verónica immersed in a sea of sound effects. We also feel intense and playful drums that give an interesting character to the song…a marvellous single and maybe one of the best themes of this year !!!.
THE BRILLIANT SONG “HOT DAY” IS THE FIRST SINGLE FROM THE ALBUM, AN EXCELLENT CHOICE
3. Trust: THE SPIRACLES give us a radical and sonic turn with this awesome track showing a Neo-Psychedelic, Neo-Progressive and Epic styles. Now the thematic is different, “Trust” is a great theme and one of the best moments of the album. Comes to my mind the influence of the 90s style where the guitars are more direct, raw, strong and sometimes Dark but keeping their own style. Also this tune remind me the style of great bands like THROWING MUSES, BELLY and the fantastic Dutch group BETTIE SERVEERT…magnificent song !!!.
4. It Shines On You: The Neo-Psychedelic style continues in a more passive and meditative musical way in this cool tune taking the post from the previous song with a more Darky, Experimental and Folky style but charming and pleasant. The theme is infected by sounds and new experiences with a Post-Rock touch where the drums play a fundamental role… another of my favourites…TKO PONCE, a great friend of mine, collaborate playing the synths giving a lot of sense and value to the song…genious from the beginning to the end !!!.
5. So Far Away: This time the band show us their most sensitive side in this cute and pretty ballad with a tender and romantic mood. The voice of VERÓNICA GRADOS shines naturally and wrap us completely. The delicate notes from a piano, in the middle of the song, give a plus and emphasis to the melody and finish with a great explosion of strong and fast guitars approaching to a Neo-Shoegaze style…an elegant and hipnotic track !!!.
6. A Thousand Miles Away: Intelligently, in the middle of the record, appears this glorious instrumental piece surrounded by a Neo-Dream-Pop style with a great influence from the iconic guitarrist ROBIN GUTHRIE, COCTEAU TWINS, FELT and THE OCEAN BLUE but in a brand new context to discover. Hand-made Music for relax and listen contemplating a gorgeous view of the sea accompanied by the sound effects of waves included in the beginning and the end of the song. This splendid Interlude could be the introduction to the next track.
7. Beneath A Sky Of Stars: A charming new theme to explore and listen many times, another of my choices because of the interesting blend of joyful, drama and mysticism. This song is interpretated by the great vocalist ANNA BOUCHER from the exquisite northamerican band DROWNER creating landscapes of incredible atmospheres with her sensual and romantic voice. This song remind me bands like FLYING SAUCER ATTACK, ELIKA and THE DELAYS…relaxing and Dreamy…a triumph !!!.
Last Night I Dreamt About You Trailer
THIS IS THE OFFICIAL TRAILER OF THE ALBUM WHERE YOU CAN LISTEN A BIT OF SOME TUNES.
8. Who`s To Blame?: This wonderful song invite us to cross an ethereal tunnel full of fantasy and magic where we find sounds and textures with a great treatment. It`s the communion of the Neo-Psychedelia, Neo-Shoegaze, and the Neo-Dream-Pop styles. For those who remember the excellent single “Downfall” included in the “Pleamar” (2008) album from RESPLANDOR, “Who`s to Blame?” is a different version, in a less Neo-Shoegaze style, where the guitars are colorful, energic and fast. This two themes have been composed by LUIS RODRÍGUEZ…a truthful entertainment for the ears !!!.
9. Unkissed Girl: The Pop comes back with this merry and enthusiastic tune full of hopeful notes, again we feel the good work realized in the musicalization where the guitars develop naturally and are the key to make a good melody joined in a clever way with the drums and the bass. This theme is more light and sweet because the intention of the band is create a direct Indie-Pop song but is so elaborated than the others…a pleasant track !!!.
10. Waterfall: This final theme surprise once more time because THE SPIRACLES show a new perspective in mind. “Waterfall” has been composed like a song of gigantic proportions because of their exquisite mixture of sonic experiments, Neo-Progressive Music, Hyper-Psychedelic and Neo-Dream-Pop taken to their highest level. In other words, a good example of the Post-Rock style. Verónica`s voice fit very-well with the Experimental style of this tune and the repetitive choirs joined by sonic effects. At the end the theme fade out and then appears a new deconstructed version of the first song “Tremble” inviting us to listen again the album…a successful final point !!!.
Pre-order the digital album through Bandcamp.
Photos and videos: courtesy of The Spiracles, Luis Rodríguez, Lucho Cisneros, Lucho Herencia and Mal Corazón.
Additional artwork, graphics and photos: Fernando Rivera Rodríguez.
Translation: Fernando Rivera Rodríguez.
Web page edition: Jorge Bazo Escudero.